FIP New Drug Trial: Another Success Story – “Dempsey”

I’d like to introduce Dempsey.  With permission from his wonderful owners, Sherri and Chris, I’d like to share his FIP success story.

Dempsey was ten months old when diagnosed with wet FIP, and ironically, Sherri and Chris learned of his diagnosis on the very same day as our Luna, in April 2017.  Dempsey and his two sisters were adopted by Chris and Sherri after losing their sweet, 22-year-old cat, Guinness.  His siblings remain healthy and FIP-free!

Dempsey was accepted into the trial at UC Davis and traveled to California on May 19th, shortly after Luna returned home, making him the third privately-owned cat to be a part of this small research project.  I had the honor of meeting Dempsey, Chris and Sherri before they left for UCD.  He was indeed, one very sick kitty as you can see from his distended abdomen.

August 7, 2017 was Dempsey’s last injection and his current blood work remains normal today, with no signs of FIP!  His weight is up to 11 pounds, his temperature is normal, he is eating well, playing hard, happy, and full of life! Pictured below is Dempsey today as he continues to be healthy and FIP-free!

FIP Free is the BEST way to be!

23 Replies to “FIP New Drug Trial: Another Success Story – “Dempsey””

1. September 29, 2017 at 5:02 pm

I certainly will! I’ll watch for you in the group! They are wonderful support and very knowledgable!

2. September 29, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Thank you much for your quick reply and help. We won’t know for certain if it’s wet or dry until next week when test results are back, but I’ll check out the Facebook site. Will you post if you hear anything about new trials starting for the inhibitors?

3. September 29, 2017 at 10:49 am

Good morning! Yes, you are correct that there are no current trials right now. These drugs have not been very successful at treating dry FIP unfortunately. Are you a member of the FIP Fighters Facebook group? If you post there, there are a few who are very good at advising on the current treatments used for dry FIP. I am not very well versed on them, but they can guide you. There is no cure and there is also no evidence to support that the treatment used for dry FIP actually works, but it’s worth a try. Good luck and I’ll be following the advice given . I’m terribly sorry this has happened. This disease is ruthless 🙁

4. September 28, 2017 at 9:28 pm

Hello and thank you for your post. My young kitty, who is part of a family of kitties I rescued from the wild at only a few hours old, has just been diagnosed with what the specialist believes is dry FIP, and I’m desperate for a possible treatment, as all of us in this situation are. I did as suggested and looked on the UC Davis site, but the Dr has posted a letter stating that the trials have ended and he’s not able to provide any treatments or respond to emails about such. I notice though that you talk about other viral treatments being done now. Can you possibly help guide me in finding out how to get into current trials in hopes of saving my sweet little girl before it’s too late? I’m heartbroken and devastated at the knowledge of the outcome without treatment. Thank you kindly for any assistant you can offer

5. Emma
    August 19, 2017 at 8:45 pm

How can I contact someone to try to get a kitten I have admitted to the trial?

6. Kari Koens
    August 18, 2017 at 11:29 am

Ziva’s vet had thought she had the effusive form, but a trip to the emergency vet Wednesday night seems to show it could be the non-effusive form instead. Her abdomen is distended, but the ultrasound Wednesday showed no fluid in the abdomen, so the distended appearance is simply due to how thin she has gotten.

7. August 17, 2017 at 5:05 pm

8. August 17, 2017 at 5:05 pm

It is another anti-viral drug that I’m not at liberty to share just yet. GC376 trial ended in 2016.…

9. August 17, 2017 at 5:02 pm

10. Nicolas Lesperance
    August 15, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Hi! Do you know if the treatment was GC-376 or a other molécule?

11. August 15, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Kari, it’s worth a try. Does Ziva have effusive (wet) FIP. This trial is for the wet form of FIP. I think it’s closed, but by all means, please send Dr. Pedersen an email. His email address is on the UC Davis website under the clinical trials section. Provide every piece of information that you have and any labwork or other diagnostic reports from your vet. Provide the cat’s age, temperature, symptoms; anything you can share that will help the team decide if eligible. I know they were only able to take 20 cats due to funding, but please give it a shot…you just never know! Good luck!

12. Kari Koens
    August 15, 2017 at 8:17 pm

I see that this is a pretty recent post. Is there any way I could still get my ocicat Ziva into the trial?

13. August 15, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Been waiting for this for many years;

14. August 15, 2017 at 7:42 pm

We will continue the fight and I am so sorry you’ve had to deal with FIP not once, but twice! Were the two cats related by chance?

15. August 15, 2017 at 7:41 pm

There are many key factors that contribute to a positive diagnosis. In Dempsey and Luna’s case, it was confirmed by withdrawing abdominal fluid and analyzing it (it has a very tell-tale color and consistency that is hard to debate), a persistent fever, weight loss, lethargy, blood work abnormalities: elevated white cells, anemia, low A/G ratio, high total protein…my cat Luna, had a dull coat with piloerection and her abdomen was so full of fluid she had a terrible heart murmur from the stress (she had an echocardiogram to rule out cardiac complications)…it’s a puzzle that has to be assembled. I’m sorry you had to go through FIP devastation.

16. August 15, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Carol, they must have had the dry form of FIP? Cats with dry FIP can live for months to years. Cats with wet FIP (like Luna and Dempsey) do not live very long after diagnosis. I’m glad you got to have two years with them, but how incredibly sad that you lost two. I assume they were siblings?

17. August 15, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Hello! We are not at liberty to disclose any protected trial data, including the drug name, but I can tell you that it is an antiviral drug.

18. Shannah Tenner
    August 15, 2017 at 4:39 pm

What is the name of the drug?

19. Carol
    August 15, 2017 at 1:26 pm

Mine were diagnosed when they were 11 weeks old. I had blood work done on both and they were diagnosed with FIP. They lived two years before passing away. This is great if this new break through can save lives.

20. August 15, 2017 at 12:41 pm

I am confused. I thought FIP could not be diagnosed until the cat was dead. I rescue, and two brothers who were saved while tiny, both developed and died of FIP within a very short period of their being adopted into different homes. How did they know this kitty had FIP? Many kittens have big bellies because they are wormy.

21. August 14, 2017 at 11:50 pm

Yay. I’m so glad to read that the trials are woking.

22. Chris Wyman
    August 14, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Having lost my sweet Link this past Friday to FIP (the second rescue cat I have lost in the past 2 years to this horrific disease), I am hoping for a cure soon. Please keep doing what your doing and never forge those of us who aren’t so fortunate.

23. Denise Kornblatt